News and Announcements
March MSG Meeting
Guest: Pemra Cetin (Asst. Dean of Financial Aid and Student Affairs)
- Will be producing a “home buying seminar” for M4’s during capstone week.
- Will be going to INOVA once a semester for two days at least to go and meet with INOVA students in person.
- Cost of attendance for next year: M1 year will have an automatic addition of $1500 for the mandatory laptop fee.
- Need access deadline is April 26th. You MUST fill this out to be eligible for scholarships.
- Ms. Cetin’s new office is 4-306 on the right of the main hallway near student affairs and curriculum.
- Student Leadership Award: Will be decided on by the MSG President, a representative from student affairs, and a representative from the curriculum committee.
- April liver rounds will be the Flying Squirrels game April 19th, 7pm. Tailgate will be at 5:30pm in the parking lot and will be catered by Buzz and Ned's BBQ. Tickets for $5.
- White coat sale was a success: sold 177 coats at $28. Raised $265 for the Heldberg-Messmer scholarship.
- Monument Avenue 10k is April 13th. Sign up for the Massey Challenge team! It's free!
- Next meeting will be April 11th, 2013 at 6pm
- New “LEGACY” diploma: Medical College of Virginia Health Sciences Division will now be an option at graduation.
February MSG Meeting
Guest: Pamela DiSalvo (Executive Director of University Relations)
- New diploma celebrates the heritage of the university with seal that shows historical perspective of the school.
- There will be no denotation of “School of Medicine” or “Medical College of Virginia campus”. However, Ms. DiSalvo made it clear that the "School of Medicine" may be a comprimise.
- SOM Alumni Brown Bag Lunch: Friday, Feb 15th at 12pm in MSB 104-105. “Is Medicine a Team Sport?” Alumni lecture by urologic surgeon and MCV alumnus Dr. Bruce Rosenfield. Please RSVP by 2/14 to email@example.com.
- Graduation Dates: MCV May 10th 3-5pm at the Siegel Center, tickets only. VCU May 11th 10am-2pm Richmond Coliseum, open to all. Grad Party: May 10th 6-11pm at the VMFA.
- 4th annual MSG Talent Show will be on February 22nd at the Hippodrome at 6pm
- Working with the bookstore for M3 whitecoat sale. M3s look for an email soon with how to purchase these coats. They will be $28 per coat, $1.50 goes to the Heldberg-Messmer Scholarship (goal is $300).
- M3 survival guide: not very many new comments…please respond if you can! It will be available in digital ONLY this year.
- Feb. 19th: Conrad Center with exercise class based on huge amount of success at the last session (personalized exercise plan)
- Massey Cancer Center Challenge Teams: now set up…sign up on the MCV team!
- Next Meeting: March 21st, 2013. Guest speaker will be Ms. Pemra Cetin, Assistant Dean of Financial Aid and Student Affairs
- Feb 21st: blood drive philanthropy for the SGA. Can go to www.vablood.org to make an appointment. Class with the most donors will get a pizza party!
January MSG Meeting
Guest: Priscilla Mpasi (Student Rep to the Board of Visitors)
- There will be a new committee formed to represent all students of VCU made up of SGA officers, and leaders from the different schools called the "Joint Committee"
- Purpose is to gain a student perspective and to address student issues that apply to both campuses
- Feb meeting with Dean Strauss: changes in GME funding
- Elections in March
- Liver Rounds Jan 25 at Major Willy Mayo's. Many types of Mac and Cheese! Happy hour prices throughout. Bacchus Racuous will perform.
- 4th Annual MSG Talent Show Feb 22 @ Hippodrome. Signups until Feb 1. $5 at door. Help us determine who to donate money to besides CHAT! Expecting 300 people.
- Heldberg-Messmer Scholarship: given to a rising M4. Funded through M3 White Coat sale. Currently pricing the coats
- Please add content to MCV Wiki
- New curriculum info was passed around--Will be posted on website
- Conrad Center: Jan 15. Many M2s currently signed up! Zero M1s.
- Pizza lunch for Geriatrics Conference (Feb 1) to promote the Massey Challenge
- Submit project ideas (limit $500) through MSG for the Spring. Contact Jamie Friedman or attend an MSG meeting.
- Winter Ball Jan 26 at the Omni
- Community Health Fair Feb 23 at Armstrong High School. We need volunteers!
- Provost decided to remove "Medical College of Virginia" from VCU diplomas
- M1 website ready
- M2 petitioning admins to learn about curriculum changes going live before their graduation. 60 signatures so far!
- M3 golf tournament April 21, 9A in New Kent. Obtained $3000 from SGA with all meals covered. Trying to get cost to $50-60. Contact Aaron Schatz for suggestions/volunteering. -M4 graduation party and class gift planning underway now that class is largely done with interviews!
November MSG Meeting
- Next semester's theme will be "medical business"
- Contact Marie for feedback on Med Ball
- Talent show venue TBD. $5 at door for charity. $0.25 to vote. Looking to invite dental and pharm.
- Spring parking permit sale Nov 28
- RideSafe will use SMS messaging for ETA
- Please fill out M3 clerkship surveys
- Come to curriculum council meetings with faculty! Contact Tony.
- Raised 200lb of canned food at MedBall. Continue to donate in admin hallway of Sanger
- Submit event funding (limit $500) for the Spring to Jamie. Must be open to M1-4.
- Students from each class from diverse backgrounds. UofR Q&A panel on med school applications. Contact Rami if interested (Jan 22, 7-8:30p with dinner)
- Winter Ball Jan 26 at the Omni. Prices TBD.
- Pair up with premeds on the Monroe Park campus via Emerging Health Leaders club
- M1 post-holiday party Jan 4/5. TBD.
- M2 deciding on pager company for next year. Wants M3/4 feedback
- M3 golf tournament April 21, 9A in New Kent
October MSG Meeting
Guest: Dr. DiGiovanni
- Med Ball Nov 10 at VMFA
- New drug testing policy at M1/3 orientations. $60 per student. Penalties for positive result TBD.
- Winter Ball Jan 26 at Omni. Prices TBD.
- M1/D1 mixer raised $1,000
- M2 Powderpuff next Fri, Cary Street 1:30
- M3 celebration at Boathouse 5-7P, dancing at Kai 8P
September MSG Meeting
Guest: Dr. Wood
- School of Medicine teaching awards will be Wednesday, September 19th
- Med Ball will be November 10th, 8pm-12am at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
- First Conrad Center date: September 25th. Emily Onufer sent out the application for M1s to apply to use this as LINC hours and work hand in hand with Dr. Woleben practicing FCM skills and doing public health education.
- Feb 23rd, 2013: VCU Health Fair—please think about volunteering for this huge, school-wide event! Info Meeting Sept 20th 7:30pm at Larrick Student Center.
- First SGA meeting is Sept. 19th
- M1/D1 mixer at John Marshall Hotel, Sept. 28th
- Class of 2015 Tshirt sale complete--pick up your tshirts Monday, Sept. 17th!
- Class of 2014 Avg. Step I score: 229.8, Highest score: 265. National Average: 222. Pass Rate: 96.7%. Congratulations, M3s!!!
August MSG Meeting
Guest: Dr. Franzen
- Our voting members are: elected MSG officials as well as the 5 class officers of each class (28 total). Elections in the spring. 50% votes from general student body and 50% voting members.
- Dr. Rodriguez and Dr. Peoples are our unofficial advisors.
- Nov. 1st we will have BRAND NEW buses and GPS systems installed. Swipe your card on the new buses. All buses will also have wifi. A private security firm has been hired for evening. To get a free GRTC bus pass, go to 8th-Street parking deck.
- Med Ball Nov. 10th at VMFA. $2000 more dollars toward food. New souvenirs – engraved highball glasses. See if Bottom and Back bus will contract with us.
- Club fair was very successful – 49 total organizations. Could probably cut down time from 2 hrs to 1.5 hrs.
- Follow directions at the bottom of the announcement emails for submissions.
- Survival guide is now online and more accessible. Add content! It is not google searchable. mcv.wikispot.org/
- New big community service event this year. Professor/mentor auction with ideas like: spend an hour with Dr. Costanzo, spend a day shadowing Dr. Lanning, etc.
- Projected budget for 2012-2013 passed out. Open to new ideas. Must benefit all students. Contact Jamie.
- Society leaders have been elected. Trying to keep the same budget as last year and utilize the money. Pending roster of society leaders and advisors.
- M2: Tshirt sale is going on through next week. All t-shirts $15. Discussed different ideas for powderpuff game. Planning MCV-UVA winery day for a class fundraiser. Planning Mr. M2 for next spring. Possibly mini-golf tournament in conjunction with the charity golf tournament put on by M3s.
- M3: Set up a step II q-bank for both MCV and INOVA. Great turnout for M1-M3 dinner (about 40 M3s)
- M4: Had another wine dinner in the Spring – very successful. Use money to fund a scholarship for a classmate.